After deciding to buy a bicycle, a person is faced with the problem of choosing between a high-speed and single-speed model. What, apart from the price, will the choice of bike affect? Shifting the gear changes the cadence and the force with which you have to push. Without this property, it will not be easy on descents and ascents — you will have to make an effort to pedal faster or maintain pedaling speed. And if the usual path runs on flat terrain, there is no need for a high-speed bike. In this article, we’ll figure out how to choose a bike without speeds. Find more here: single speed bycicle
WHAT IS A SINGLE SPEED BIKE?
A bike without speeds, aka single speed, has one gear - there is no need to change gears. Also, this model weighs less due to the absence of speed switches, cables, cassette and shifters.
Singlespeed is suitable for those who dream of enjoying country walks on flat terrain. Rough terrain is a problem for him - it is impossible to save energy on the descent, it is difficult to control the bike on steep turns and natural unevenness of the soil or road surface.
Single speed is a convenient option for city driving when there is no need to develop high speed. With daily travel, the chassis wears out quickly and needs to be changed more often. Choosing a single-speed bike is much cheaper to replace the undercarriage as the cassette, chain and system only need to be replaced regularly on high-speed bikes. If you are far from bike mechanics, feel free to choose a single-speed bike model, it is simplified, accessible and convenient to the maximum. For a long time, it does without technical inspection, the chain and stars do not need to be often looked after. Also, this model is in demand in turtle and street. A distinctive feature - during movement, the pedals and wheels of the single speed spin simultaneously. This is done using a special bushing that provides continuous rotation. But you can also find bicycles with ratchets,
THE ADVANTAGES OF CHOOSING A SINGLE SPEED BIKE:
· Low weight. The absence of shifters, cables and cassette reduces the weight of the bike.
· Reliability. The chain is unlikely to skip due to tight tension.
· Saving money. The chain and stars on this model are thicker, so there is no point in changing them often. When replacing the chain, it is not necessary to change the stars.
· Power training. Effort is required on the uphills - low speed will not allow you to drive up the mountain. You will also acquire the skill of fast pedaling.
· High inertness.
· Affordable cost.
· The chain does not warp and lasts longer.
· Cruisers. The handlebar and saddle position, a straight fit and full fenders that block dirt from entering the rider contribute to the comfort of this model.
· Folding. This bike without speeds is suitable for a metropolis: when folded, it is convenient to take a bike on the subway and commuter train, as well as store it at home.
· Fixes. No idle system - movement is possible only when pedaling. There are models with a double-sided hub, that is, the transmission is fixed on only one side of the wheel. This model is often equipped with high-profile rims for improved aerodynamics.
· Road. The frame of this model resembles a mountain bike. Comfortable to use thanks to a straight fit, high-lift adjustable handlebars, and a comfortable shock absorbing saddle. There is often a multi-speed transmission.
· Stunt. Equipped with a small chainring - this single-speed bike does not accelerate, it is designed for tricks.